- October 2008
- Makes abut 24 squares
- Takes 25 minutes to make and 1 hour in the oven
This sultana traybake recipe is great for packed lunches or a picnic. The secret to keeping this cake moist is adding orange juice to the sultanas.
- 250g butter, plus extra for greasing
- 450g sultanas
- About 260ml orange juice
- 3 medium free-range eggs
- 350g light soft brown sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 350g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Golden icing sugar, to dust (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 160°c/fan140°c/gas 3 and grease and base-line a 30cm x 20cm roasting tin with butter and baking paper. Put the sultanas in a pan and cover with the orange juice. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat slightly and cook for 15 minutes, until all the juice has been absorbed.
- Add 250g butter to the sultanas and stir gently over a low heat until melted. Remove from the heat.
- Mix the eggs, sugar and vanilla extract in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the sultanas, flour and baking powder to the egg mixture and mix well. Pour into the lined tin.
- Bake for about 1 hour. Check the cake after 40-45 minutes, when you may like to cover the top with baking paper to stop it from going too brown.
- Leave the cake in the tin for around 5 minutes, then dust with icing sugar and cut into about 24 squares.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...