Cauliflower soup with cheese croutons
- September 2007
- Serves 6
- Ready in 35 minutes
Cauliflower and cheese are a fabulous pairing. There’s a double dose of the cheese in this quick soup with cheese croutons – it’s used in both the soup and the crunchy croutons.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 1 large cauliflower
- 1 white potato, diced
- 750ml whole milk
- 1 litre vegetable stock, hot
- Bunch of spring onions, thinly sliced
- 25g butter
- 25g plain flour
- 100g Grana Padano, coarsely grated, plus extra
For the cheese croutons
- 2 thick slices country bread
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp finely grated Grana Padano
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- Break the cauliflower into even-size florets and place in a large pan with the potato, milk, stock and the white part of the spring onions (reserve the green part). Bring to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes, until the cauliflower is very soft.
- Strain the liquid into a jug. Set aside the vegetables.
- Heat the butter in a large pan, add the flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring frequently. Gradually beat in the reserved hot liquid to make a smooth sauce. Bring to the boil and simmer for a further 2-3 minutes.
- Add the cheese and stir until melted. Add the vegetables and some salt and pepper and purée using a hand-held blender, until smooth. Alternatively, transfer to a food processor, in batches, and whizz until smooth. Keep warm.
- Meanwhile, make the croutons. Preheat the oven to 190C/fan170C/gas 5. Cut the crusts off the bread and discard. Cut the bread into cubes and toss with the olive oil, cheese, garlic and season to taste. Scatter onto a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes, until crisp and golden.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and scatter with the reserved spring onions. Top with the extra cheese, croutons and black pepper.
This recipe uses Grana Padano cheese which is a hard Italian cheese, similar to Parmesan. It’s non-vegetarian. To make this dish veggie, use a veggie cheese.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Cauliflower cheese soup with mustard seed and cheddar scones
Debbie Major packs all the flavour of a cauliflower cheese into a warming soup. Paired...