Roasted cauliflower and stilton soup
- April 2017
- Serves 4-6
- Hands-on time 25 min, oven time 35 min
The combination of nutty cauliflower and tangy stilton makes this a wonderful Christmas soup recipe, as a starter or warming lunch. It’s a great way of using up leftover cheese too!
- 10.9g (4.5g saturated)
- 42.6g (11.1g sugars)
- 1 large cauliflower, broken into small florets
- 3 large onions, cut into wedges
- Olive oil for roasting
- 1 garlic bulb
- 1 litre good vegetable stock
- 900g maris piper potatoes, cut into equal chunks
- 2 bay leaves
- 100g stilton, plus extra to serve
- Handful fresh parsley, chopped
- Crusty bread to serve
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. Put the cauliflower and onion wedges in a roasting tin. Drizzle over olive oil, toss to coat and season with salt and pepper. Loosely wrap the garlic bulb in foil, put in the tin with the veg and roast for 35 minutes, tossing to coat halfway through.
- Meanwhile, put the stock in a pan with 1 litre water, bring to the boil, add the potatoes and bay leaves, then cook for 15-20 minutes until tender.
- Unwrap the roasted garlic, halve horizontally, then squeeze the flesh from the cloves into the stock/potatoes. Add the onions and most of the cauliflower.
- Remove the bay leaves, then pour the soup into a blender and whizz until smooth (or use a stick blender). Pour the soup back into the pan, crumble in the stilton and stir until melted. Taste and season with salt (you probably won’t need any if you’ve used a stock cube) and pepper, then serve scattered with the parsley, extra stilton and reserved cauliflower, with crusty bread.
Make the soup up to 48 hours ahead and keep covered and chilled.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Cauliflower soup with cheese croutons
Cauliflower and cheese are a fabulous pairing. There’s a double dose of the cheese in...
Cauliflower cheese soup with mustard seed and cheddar scones
Debbie Major packs all the flavour of a cauliflower cheese into a warming soup. Paired...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...