Curried cauliflower soup
- March 2023
- Serves 2
- Hands-on time 25 min. Simmering time 30 min
Spice is a cauliflower’s best friend, whether roasted, steamed or, in this case, whizzed up into a creamy soup. Topped with crunchy croutons, this is a winner on chilly days and nights.
Got some florets going spare? Check out our 15 best cauliflower recipes.
- 13.8g (3.9g saturated)
- 50.5g (16g sugars)
- 1 small cauliflower
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp garlic-ginger paste
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- 1 medium potato, peeled and finely sliced
- 600ml vegetable stock
- 1 slice white bread
- Knob of unsalted butter
- ½ tsp yellow mustard seeds
- 1 tbsp crème fraîche (optional)
- Squeeze lemon juice
- Chop the cauliflower into florets and finely chop the stalk. Heat the vegetable oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat and cook the chopped onion, chopped cauliflower stalk, garlic-ginger paste and curry powder for about 6 minutes. Add the potato, cauliflower florets and stock. Bring to the boil then turn down to low and gently simmer for 30 minutes.
- Dice the slice of bread into 1cm cubes. Melt the butter in a small frying pan over a medium heat and add the croutons with a pinch of salt and the mustard seeds. Tip the frying pan so the bread is covered by the foaming butter and cook until you have golden, crisp croutons (about 4 minutes). Drain on kitchen paper.
- When the soup is ready, add the créme fraîche (if using) and use a stick blender to whizz the mixture until smooth. Season with salt, pepper and lemon juice. Divide the soup between bowls with the croutons and mustard seeds sprinkled on top and the sandwich on the side.
Don’t waste it: Cauliflower leaves are a great, cabbage-like thing to drizzle with oil and roast in a roaring hot oven. Serve them with this soup or as a side to anything that usually has some greens on the side.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Cauliflower cheese soup with mustard seed and cheddar scones
Debbie Major packs all the flavour of a cauliflower cheese...
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter