Cheat’s beef stroganoff
- October 2006
- Serves 4
- Ready in 20 min
Instead of slogging over a hot stove, our speedy stroganoff recipe – made with some shortcut ingredients – is ready on the table in just 20 minutes.
Not what you were after? Why not try our hearty vegetarian mushroom stroganoff instead, it’s served with creamy, cheesy polenta.
- 26.6g (12.9g saturated)
- 54g (4.2g sugars)
- 225g long grain rice
- 500g quick-frying beef steaks, cut into thin strips
- 1 tsp mixed peppercorns, crushed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 150g closed cup mushrooms, wiped and halved
- 284ml carton soured cream
- 2 tsp paprika
- Cook the rice according to packet instructions. Meanwhile, put the beef strips into a shallow dish, add the crushed peppercorns and toss to coat. Set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat and cook the sliced onion for 3-4 minutes or until soft but not coloured.
- Add the mushrooms and cook for a further 5 minutes. Increase the heat, add the beef strips and fry for 4-5 minutes or until the juices have evaporated and the meat is brown. Add 3 tablespoons water and bubble to deglaze the pan.
- Stir in most of the soured cream and half the paprika, and gently heat until warmed through. Check the seasoning.
- Spoon the beef stroganoff onto plates. Top with the remaining soured cream. Season with the remaining paprika and black pepper and serve with the rice.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...