Mushroom stroganoff with quick polenta
- January 2013
- Serves 4
- Ready in 20 minutes
This quick vegetarian mushroom stroganoff, served with cheesy polenta, recipe takes just 20 minutes from hob to table.
Put off by polenta? How about our quick beef stroganoff served with rice?
- Gluten-free recipes
- Vegetarian recipes
- 19.7g (8.2g saturated)
- 35.5g (2.6g sugars)
- 2 tbsp olive oil or rapeseed oil
- 4 shallots, finely sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tsp sweet smoked paprika
- 2 tsp hot smoked paprika
- Good pinch of cayenne pepper
- 600g mixed mushrooms, sliced
- 185g quick-cook polenta
- 3 tbsp brandy
- 150ml soured cream
- Generous knob of butter
- 25g parmesan, grated
- Handful of fresh flatleaf parsley, chopped
- Heat the oil in a sauté pan over a medium heat and add the shallots and garlic. Cook gently for a few minutes until softened but not coloured. Add the spices, cook for 1 minute (being careful not to let them scorch), then add the mushrooms and cook until soft.
- Meanwhile, cook the polenta according to the pack instructions. Add the brandy to the mushrooms, increase the heat and bubble until the brandy has almost evaporated. Turn down the heat and add the soured cream. Taste and season, then cook gently for a few minutes.
- Stir the butter and parmesan through the cooked polenta and spoon into bowls. Stir most of the parsley through the stroganoff, then serve on top of the polenta, sprinkled with the rest of the parsley.
Smoked paprika is a speciality of Spain and is often sold as pimentón ahumado. It comes in a variety of styles – sweet (dulce), bittersweet (agridulce) or hot (picante) – and adds a smoky depth to dishes.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...