Cheat’s Boston beans
- March 2007
- Serves 4
- Hands on time 25 minutes
The classic American recipe has never been easier – baked beans help you slash the cooking time.
- 11.3g (3.2g saturated)
- 38.6g (17g sugars)
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 500g unsmoked gammon joint, cut into large chunks (any leftovers can be frozen)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 x 420g cans baked beans
- 4 tbsp barbecue sauce, plus extra to serve (optional)
- 1 tbsp dried mixed herbs
1. Heat the oil in a large frying pan over a high heat. Add the gammon and cook for 3-4 minutes, until browned. Remove and set aside.
2. Add the onion and cook over a medium heat, stirring, for 5 minutes, until softened. Add the beans, barbecue sauce, herbs and gammon. Simmer for 10 minutes, until reduced. Season to taste and serve with baked jacket potatoes and extra barbecue sauce, if you like.
To make this vegetarian, omit the meat and use 250g mushrooms.
Rate & review