Cheat’s squid and chorizo paella
- April 2010
- Serves 4
- Takes 5 min to make, 30 min to cook
Try our quick paella recipe made with squid and chorizo. It simplifies the usually-complicated Spanish dish and is ready in just 30 minutes.
Or cut the cooking time even further with our 15-minute paella.
- 22.3g (9g saturated)
- 79.1g (4.2g sugar)
- 1 tbsp oil
- 25g butter
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 350g long-grain rice, rinsed in cold water
- Pinch of saffron threads (optional)
- Grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 600ml chicken stock, hot
- 200g raw chorizo, sliced
- 200g small squid, cut into rings
- 150g frozen peas, defrosted
- Handful fresh flatleaf parsley, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4. Heat the oil and half the butter in a small casserole or flameproof dish with a lid. Fry the onion and garlic over a medium heat for 5 minutes until softened.
- Add the rice and fry for 1-2 minutes until coated in the oil and butter, then add the saffron, lemon zest and hot stock. Bring to the boil, then cover with a lid and bake in the oven for 20 minutes until the stock has been absorbed.
- Meanwhile, heat a frying pan over a medium-high heat. Add the chorizo slices to the pan and fry for 5-10 minutes until golden and cooked through, then remove from the pan with a slotted spoon. Add the remaining butter to the pan and increase the heat to high. Season the squid with sea salt and black pepper and fry for 1-2 minutes until just cooked. Set aside.
- Remove the rice from the oven and stir in the squid, chorizo and peas. Check the seasoning, stir in the parsley and lemon juice, then serve.
Rate & review
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter