Cheat’s vegetarian pilaf
- April 2009
- Serves 2
- Takes 10 min to make and 30 min to cook
Requiring minimum effort, this quick and easy pilaf recipe is perfect for a lazy night in.
- Dairy-free recipes
- Gluten-free recipes
- Vegetarian recipes
- 550g pack ready-prepared British roasting vegetables
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp baharat spice or ras el hanout
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large shallots
- 280g pack ready-cooked pilau rice
- A handful mixed dried fruit and nuts
- The juice of ½ lemon
- A handful of fresh coriander leaves
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/fan200°C/gas 7. Put the vegetables, cut into smaller chunks if large, on a baking tray and toss with 1 tbsp olive oil and 2 tsp baharat spice or ras el hanout. Cook in the oven for 30 minutes, turning occasionally, until browned and cooked through.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large sauté pan with a knob of butter. Slice the shallots and fry for 10 minutes until softened and lightly coloured. Stir through the ready-cooked pilau rice and a handful mixed dried fruit and nuts. Cook for 5 minutes until warmed through.
- Squeeze over the juice of ½ lemon and stir through the warm roasted vegetables with a handful of fresh coriander leaves.
You could add lamb if you’re not vegetarian: Season and pan-fry 2 lamb leg steaks for 2-3 minutes each side until browned but still pink in the middle. Rest for 5 minutes, then slice and mix into the rice with the vegetables.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Savoury pancake recipes
Butternut squash, chickpea and blue cheese pancakes
Make pancakes into a savoury, vegetarian dinner recipe with butternut squash, chickpeas and blue cheese....
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...