Cheesy mash with bacon and spring onions
- February 2014
- Serves 6
- Hands-on time 20 min, simmering time 20-25 min
This cheesy mash with bacon makes a wonderfully comforting side dish and would go perfectly with toad in the hole or sausages.
- 22.2g (11g saturated)
- 29g (2.5g sugars)
- 1kg floury potatoes, chopped
- 200g diced pancetta
- 25g unsalted butter
- Generous splash of double cream
- 60g grated gruyère cheese
- Bunch of spring onions, sliced
- Put the potatoes in a large saucepan of cold salted water and bring to the boil. Simmer for 15-20 minutes until tender.
- Meanwhile, heat a frying pan over a medium heat and fry the pancetta for 7 minutes or until crisp. Set aside.
- Drain the potatoes, then return to the pan over a low heat to dry out. Mash well with the butter and cream until smooth. Stir in the cheese, the pancetta, the pancetta fat and the spring onions. Season, then serve with the toad in the holes.
Rate & review