Chicken and greens pilaf
- March 2019
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 15 min, simmering time 25 min
Use leftover chicken in this quick and easy pilaf recipe made with brown rice, savoy cabbage, peas and almonds.
Any leftover vegetables would work well in the pilaf. Instead of savoy cabbage and petits pois, try sprouts, kale or spinach.
Want to find more ways to use up leftovers? Take a look at all of our leftover chicken recipes.
- 19.7g (4g saturated)
- 71.9g (22.4g sugars)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- Knob of butter
- 250g brown basmati rice
- 75g sultanas
- 750ml chicken stock
- ½ savoy cabbage, shredded
- 200g frozen petits pois
- 300g cooked chicken, shredded
- 60g blanched almonds, toasted in a dry pan, then roughly chopped
- Small handful fresh tarragon, roughly chopped
- Finely grated zest and juice ½ lemon
- Heat the oil in a deep frying or sauté pan (one with a lid) set over
a low-medium heat, then add the onion. Cook gently, without colouring, for 10 minutes or so until softened and translucent. Add the butter, rice and sultanas, stir to coat thoroughly in the oil, then pour in the poaching broth (or stock), along with a generous pinch of salt. Bring to a gentle simmer, then turn the heat down to low, cover with the lid and cook for 20 minutes until the rice is plump and tender and the liquid has nearly all been absorbed.
- Remove the lid, stir in the cabbage, peas and chicken, then cook, covered, for 5 minutes more until piping hot throughout.
- Mix the almonds, tarragon, lemon zest and juice with sea salt and ground black pepper, then sprinkle over the pilaf to serve.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...