Chicken burgers with sweet onions
- November 2015
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 30 min, simmering time 15 min
Breadcrumbed chicken breast burgers are topped with rocket and homemade caramelised onions and sandwiched between fluffy burger buns.
Want something quicker, easier and a little healthier? How about our quick chicken burgers served with sweet potato wedges.
- 16.4g (3.3g saturated)
- 96.6g (25.1g sugars)
- 3 onions, sliced
- 100ml cider vinegar
- 70g caster sugar
- 4 small or 2 large free-range chicken breasts
- 6 tbsp plain flour
- 100g dried breadcrumbs
- 2 large free-range eggs
- Sunflower oil for frying
- 2 handfuls rocket
- 4 burger buns
- Mayonnaise mixed with chilli sauce (optional)
- Put the onions in a pan with the cider vinegar and sugar. Bring to a simmer and cook for 30-35 minutes until the onions are sticky, and lightly caramelised. You can leave them for the first 15 minutes, but after that they’ll need regular stirring. Season well.
- Meanwhile, put each chicken breast between 2 sheets of baking paper or cling film (if they’re large, cut them in half widthways first). Using a rolling pin, pound them until they’re about 1cm thick. Put the flour and breadcrumbs on separate plates and lightly beat the eggs in a shallow bowl with some seasoning. Dust each chicken breast/piece in flour, then dip in the egg and coat in the breadcrumbs, shaking off the excess as you go. Set aside on a tray.
- Heat 0.5cm oil in a large frying pan until shimmering hot, then add the breaded chicken. Cook for 2-3 minutes on one side until deep golden, then flip and repeat on the other side for the same time. Once the chicken is cooked through (cut into one to check), pile into buns with the rocket and sticky onions. Serve with chilli mayo, if you like.
Freeze the cooked￼ cooled burgers for up to 1 month. Bake from frozen in a 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6 oven for 15-20 minutes. The caramelised onions will also freeze well in a sealed container for up to 3 months.
Rate & review