Mexican chicken burgers
- August 2016
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 40 min, plus marinating
It’s too difficult to choose between fajitas or burgers so we’ve put juicy chipotle-spiced chicken, guacamole and fresh coriander between two buns.
Looking for something else? Take a look at lots more burger recipes, here.
- 28.3g (5.2g saturated)
- 8g (5.7g sugars)
- 4 British free-range skinless chicken breasts
- 4 tbsp cold-pressed rapeseed oil or olive oil
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- Juice 3 limes, plus 4 lime wedges to serve
- 2 garlic cloves, 1 finely sliced, 1 crushed
- 1 tbsp chipotle paste
- 2 red onions, finely sliced into rings
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- Large bunch fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- Grilled crusty roll, chopped fresh coriander, soured cream and curly fries (optional)
- Put the chicken breasts between 2 sheets of baking paper and use a meat tenderiser or rolling pin to flatten them to a 2-3cm thickness. Put the chicken in a non-metallic bowl with the oil, cumin, juice of 2 limes, the sliced garlic clove and half the chipotle paste. Marinate for at least 30 minutes, but preferably overnight, in the fridge.
- Put the onion rings in a bowl of water (to reduce the sharpness). In another bowl, mash the avocados with the crushed garlic, the rest of the lime juice and chipotle paste, the chilli and half the coriander.
- When the chicken has marinated, heat a large griddle pan. Once the pan is smoking hot, add the chicken and griddle for 5-6 minutes on each side, basting with the marinade. The chicken should be lightly charred and cooked through – cut into the thickest part to check.
- To serve, layer the grilled rolls with the mashed avocado, onion rings and chicken, sprinkle with the remaining coriander and serve with soured cream, lime wedges and curly fries (if you like).
Cook the marinated chicken up to 24 hours in advance and keep covered in the fridge. Reheat to serve.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Thai chicken burgers with cucumber relish
Low in both calories and fat, this Thai-style chicken burger recipe is a relatively quick...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...