Chicken, ham and leek filo pie
- October 2009
- Serves 4
- Hands on time 15 mins, plus 30 mins cooking time
This speedy pie recipe is a great family supper, and is ready in no time, as it makes the most of leftover chicken.
- 45.3g (22.6g saturated)
- 22.2g (6.9g sugars)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 leek, thickly sliced
- 200g thick-cut ham, chopped into bite-size pieces
- 400g portion cooked, shredded chicken with 300ml gravy, defrosted (see Roast chicken with speedy gravy recipe)
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 150ml double cream
- 6 sheets filo pastry
- 50g butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan, add the onion and leek and fry gently for 5 minutes until soft. Stir in the ham and defrosted chicken and gravy. Sprinkle over the flour and stir for a few minutes.
- Add the thyme and cream, bring to the boil, turn down the heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Add a splash of water to thin the mixture if it is too thick.
- Spoon the pie filling into a large ovenproof dish or 4 individual pie dishes. Cut the filo pastry into strips, brush each with melted butter and scrunch up slightly, then place them on top of the filling to cover it.
- Place in the centre of the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes until the sauce is bubbling-hot and the filo is crisp and golden brown. Serve with buttered mash.
Rate & review