Spicy filo-topped chicken pie
- October 2018
- Serves 6
- Hands-on time 30 min, oven time 20-25 min
Use a ready-roast chicken, or leftover chicken from your Sunday roast, to make this easy and flavoursome filo pie. With just a few simple shortcuts, it’s possible to enjoy this impressive dish on a weeknight.
- 14.1g (2.1g saturated)
- 33.9g (19.4g sugars)
- 1 tbsp olive oil, plus extra splash
- 1 finely sliced onion
- 3 crushed garlic cloves
- 1½ tbsp harissa dried spice mix
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 75g toasted flaked almonds
- 100g raisins
- 3 sliced ready-roasted red peppers
- 680ml tomato passata
- 1kg higher welfare roast chicken
- Handful of chopped fresh coriander and flatleaf parsley leaves
- 150g scrunched-up filo sheets
- Pinch of ground cinnamon
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Add the onion and fry, stirring, for 10 minutes until softened. Add the garlic cloves, harissa dried spice mix (we used Bart) and cinnamon, then continue to cook for 2 more minutes.
- Add the almonds, raisins and red peppers, then stir well. Pour over the tomato passata and bring to a simmer.
- Remove the meat from the chicken, shred into the sauce, then season to taste. Stir in a handful of chopped fresh coriander and flatleaf parsley leaves and transfer to a large pie dish. Top with the scrunched-up filo sheets, brushed with olive oil, then sprinkle over a pinch of ground cinnamon. Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden and piping hot.
Rate & review
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter