Chilli and pepper meatloaf
- September 2008
- Serves 6
- Takes 10 minutes to make, 45 minutes to bake and 15 minutes’ standing
This variation of a traditional meatloaf recipe has a spicy kick.
- Dairy-free recipes
- 21.9g (7.5g saturated)
- 12.1g (2.3g sugar)
- 1 pitta bread
- 1 tbsp vegetable or light olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 green chillies, deseeded and
- finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 240g jar roasted red peppers, drained
- 600g beef mince
- 250g lamb mince
- Grated zest and juice of 1 lemon, plus extra strips of lemon zest to garnish
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- Handful fresh flatleaf parsley, finely chopped, plus extra leaves to garnish
- 1 large free-range egg
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/ gas 4. Blitz the pitta into breadcrumbs in a food processor, and put in a bowl.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and cook the onion until softened. Stir in the chillies and garlic, cook for 1 minute, then stir in the spices and cook for a further minute. Set aside.
- Chop two-thirds of the peppers and add to the pitta crumbs with the beef, lamb, lemon zest and juice, tomato purée, parsley, egg and spicy onion. Mix together well with your hands. Season and spoon into a 900g non-stick or greased loaf tin.
- Put in a deep roasting tin, fill with boiling water so it comes halfway up the loaf tin, then cover the whole thing with foil. Bake for 45 minutes, until cooked. Leave in the tin for 15 minutes.
- Turn out, garnish with the remaining peppers, cut into strips, parsley and strips of lemon zest. Serve with mashed potato.
The raw meatloaf at the end of step 3 in the tin for up to 3 months. Defrost thoroughly and cook from step 4 – check the centre of the meatloaf reaches 70°C using a meat thermometer. If cooked, cool, then wrap in cling film and freeze for up to 3 months. Defrost completely, then reheat at 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4 for 30 minutes, until piping hot.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Veal rifreddo (meatloaf)
“The ideal versatile dish to have stashed away in your fridge to eat for lunch,...