- November 2005
- 75ml milk
- 1 large egg
- 40g soft white bread
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 celery stick, finely chopped
- 50g butter
- 100g rindless bacon or Black Forest ham, chopped
- 400g beef mince
- 400g pork mince
- 1 tbsp German mustard
- 2 large gherkins, chopped into pieces
- 1 tsp chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- Grated fresh nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/ gas 4. Mix the milk and egg in a large bowl. Add the bread and soak for 15 minutes. Mash with a fork.
- In a frying pan, cook the onion, garlic and celery in the butter over a low heat, until softened. Set aside.
- Sauté the bacon in the same pan over a medium heat, until crispy.
- Add the onion mix, bacon, beef, pork, mustard and gherkins to the bread with the herbs and spice. Season and mix. Put in a 900g non-stick loaf tin and bake for 50 minutes, until firm. Sit for 10 minutes, then turn out. Serve with a carrot and beetroot salad.
Rate & review