Chocolate and orange slice
- December 2008
- Makes about 9-12 squares
- Takes 20 minutes to make, 50 minutes-1 hour to cook, plus cooling
This tempting chocolate and orange slice recipe is perfect for kids to make for a party – each is topped with a sugared orange.
- 225g butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
- Finely grated zest of 1 orange
- 225g golden caster sugar
- 4 medium free-range eggs
- 200g self-raising flour
- 25g cocoa powder
For the decoration
- 2-3 tbsp icing sugar, sifted
- 4 tbsp orange juice (or juice of
- 1 orange)
- 100g milk or plain chocolate
- 30g butter
- Sugared orange sweets, such as Supercook Orange and Lemon Slices
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4. Rub a little butter inside a deep, loose-bottomed, 20cm square tin. Line the bottom of the tin with a piece of baking paper.
- Put the butter into a bowl with the orange zest and sugar, and beat using a wooden spoon until really pale and fluffy. You can do this with an electric whisk instead of a wooden spoon. This is called creaming.
- Crack the eggs into a bowl and whisk with a fork. Gradually add the eggs to the butter mixture, beating well after each addition. Sift the flour and cocoa over the butter mixture and carefully fold in with a metal spoon.
- Spoon the mixture into the tin, level the surface and bake for about 50 minutes-1 hour, until well risen and firm to the touch. Ask an adult to cover the cake with baking paper if it starts to go too brown. Poke a skewer into the middle – it should come out clean if the cake is cooked. Ask an adult to remove the tin from the oven. Leave the cake to cool in the tin for 10 minutes.
- Poke holes all over the top of the partially cooled cake with a skewer. Put the icing sugar and orange juice in a bowl and mix together, then spoon all over the cake. Remove the cake from the tin and cool on its lining on a wire rack.
- Break the chocolate into pieces, put into a bowl, and add the butter. Heat a small amount of water in a saucepan until simmering. Sit the bowl of chocolate on top. Leave until the chocolate has melted, then stir carefully until smooth.
- Carefully spoon the chocolate over the cake and decorate with sugared orange sweets. Leave to set, then slice and serve, or store in boxes, ready for the fete.
Rate & review