Chocolate orange tea loaf
- January 2015
- Serves 10-12; makes 1 loaf
- Hands-on time 25 minutes, oven time 55-65 minutes, plus cooling
This chocolate orange tea loaf is inspired by the jaffa cake – it captures that wonderful mix of marmalade, dark chocolate and sponge. It’s a winner for elevenses or afternoon tea.
(And if you saw the words jaffa cake, and thought ‘mmm, jaffa cakes’, then check out our giant jaffa cake recipe.)
- 17.7g (9.3g saturated)
- 31.9g (19.9g sugars)
- 175g lightly salted butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
- 175g caster sugar
- Finely grated zest 1 large orange
- 3 large free-range eggs
- 200g self-raising flour
- 50g ground almonds
- 3 tbsp thick-cut marmalade
- 50g dark chocolate chips
- Heat the oven to 170°C/fan150°C/gas 3. Grease an 11cm x 21cm loaf tin and line with baking paper, then wrap paper around (see tip). Beat the butter and sugar with an electric mixer for 5 minutes (or with a wooden spoon) until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the orange zest, then beat in the eggs one at a time, adding 1 tbsp flour with the last egg. Sift over and gently fold in the rest of the flour, a pinch of salt, the ground almonds, marmalade and chocolate with a metal spoon.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared loaf tin and level the top.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes until nicely browned, then cover loosely with a sheet of foil and bake for another 15-20 minutes until a skewer pushed into the centre comes out clean.
- Leave in the tin for 10 minutes, then remove the paper and turn out onto a wire rack. Peel off the baking paper. Leave to cool before slicing.
To stop the cake browning too much, wrap 2-3 sheets of folded newspaper around the tin to form a raised collar in step 1.
Secure with string.
For extra orangey loveliness, heat 3 tbsp marmalade with 1 tbsp orange juice and brush onto the warm loaf.
The loaf will keep well for 3-4 days in a sealed container. Wrap in cling film and foil, then freeze for up to 1 month. Defrost to serve.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter