Chocolate orange cupcakes with cheesecake cream
- April 2006
- Makes 9 cupcakes
- Takes 20 minutes to make and 20 minutes to bake, plus cooling
Eat these fudgy chocolate orange cupcakes warm or cold – the chocolate-coated orange peel adds a really luxurious touch.
- 28.1g (16.4g saturated)
- 45.4g (37g sugars)
- 80g butter
- 100g plain chocolate (with at least 70% cocoa solids)
- 150g light muscovado sugar
- 3 medium eggs
- 80g plain flour, sifted
- 150g tub Duchy Originals Organic Chocolate Coated Orange (from Waitrose and fine food stores)
- 30g pecan nuts
- 2 large pieces candied orange peel (we like Sundora Candied Peel, from major supermarkets)
For the cheesecake cream
- 250g tub mascarpone
- 1 tsp cocoa powder
- 2 tsp icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/fan170°C/gas 5. Line a 12-hole muffin tin with 9 paper muffin cases. Melt the butter and chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water. (Alternatively, melt in a bowl in the microwave on high – 900W – for 1-2 minutes.) Stir to combine.
- Crumble the sugar into a large bowl to break down any lumps, then add the eggs. Using an electric hand whisk, whisk for about 5 minutes, until increased in volume, thick and mousse-like. Add the chocolate mixture and whisk until combined. Add a pinch of salt to the flour and sift into the bowl. Mix together with a wooden spoon. Roughly chop the chocolate orange peel pieces and nuts, and fold into the mixture.
- Spoon equal amounts into the muffin cases – it will seem quite generous but as it is a brownie-type mixture, it will sink a little on cooling. Bake for 20 minutes, until risen and firm. Cool in the tin for 5 minutes, then cool on a wire rack.
- Slice away any white pith from the candied orange peel and very finely slice the peel into shreds. Decorate each cake with a few of the shreds.
- Make the cheesecake cream. Put the mascarpone in a bowl, sift in the cocoa powder and icing sugar and mix well. Serve in a small bowl with the cupcakes.
You could decorate the cakes with a dusting of cocoa powder instead of candied peel.
Rate & review