Chorizo and watercress muffins
- September 2013
- Makes 12
- Hands-on time 15 min, oven time 25 min
Spicy chorizo, peppery watercress and creamy manchego cheese give these savoury breakfast muffins oomph. Enjoy them warm out the oven with butter or alongside baked eggs for a hearty brunch.
Like a fiery kick? Give these cheddar and jalapeño muffins a go; you won’t regret it.
- 14.2g (4.8g saturated)
- 17.2g (2.1g sugars)
- 80ml vegetable oil, plus 1 tbsp
- 250g spicy cooking chorizo, finely chopped (we like Unearthed)
- 200g watercress, chopped
- 250g plain flour
- ½ tsp coarse sea salt
- 2½ tsp baking powder
- 75g manchego cheese, grated
- 2 medium free-range eggs, beaten
- 100ml natural yogurt
- 150ml whole milk
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan 160°C/gas 4. Line a 12-hole muffin tin with 10cm squares of baking paper (use eggs in their shells to keep the paper in place). Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a pan over a medium heat, then fry the chorizo for 5 minutes, turning, until crisp. Lift out onto kitchen paper. Remove all but 1 tbsp of the oil from the pan and, over a high heat, wilt the watercress. Add it to the chorizo and set aside to cool.
- Sift the flour into a bowl, then add the salt and baking powder. Add the cheese, beaten eggs, 80ml oil, yogurt and milk, then stir into a thick batter. Stir in the chorizo and watercress, then divide among the cases (remove the eggs in their shells first, if using). Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden and a skewer pushed into the centre comes out clean. Remove to a wire rack to cool, then serve.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...