Cheddar, jalapeño, chilli and sweetcorn muffins
- September 2016
- Makes 12
- Hands-on time 20 min, oven time 20 min
Savoury baking doesn’t get much easier than this – grab one of Debbie Major’s cheddar and jalapeño muffins when you’re in a rush or pack one in your lunchbox for a spicy snack.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 10.7g (5.g saturated)
- 23.4g (2.2g sugars)
- 175g plain flour
- 4½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 150g dried polenta
- 100g finely grated mature cheddar
- ¼ tsp chilli flakes
- 284ml pot of buttermilk (or whole milk)
- 2 medium free-range eggs
- 75g melted butter
- 160g drained tinned sweetcorn
- 2 deseeded, chopped jalapeño chilli
- 1 sliced jalapeño chilli
- 25g grated cheddar
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. Line a muffin tray with 12 paper cases. Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl and stir in the dried polenta, cheddar and chilli flakes.
- Pour a 284ml pot of buttermilk (or whole milk) into a jug and beat in the eggs and melted butter.
- Mix the milk mixture into the dry ingredients with 160g drained tinned sweetcorn and 1 deseeded, chopped jalapeño chilli. Slice another chilli.
- Divide the batter among the paper cases, sprinkle with 25g grated cheddar and top with chilli slices. Bake for 20 minutes until golden and risen.
Make the muffins up to 24 hours in advance and keep in an airtight container.
Rate & review