Christmas pudding caramel
- December 2016
- 250g salted butter, cubed
- 1 tsp sea salt, crushed, we like Maldon
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- 250g unrefined muscovado sugar
- 150g christmas pudding, crumbled
- Finely grated zest 1 orange
- 250ml double cream
- 50ml rum, brandy or whisky
- 100g good quality dark chocolate, at least 65% cocoa solids, roughly chopped
You’ll also need:
- You will also need 4 x 250ml sterilised jars (see how here)
- Put the butter salt and spices into a medium saucepan over a gentle heat until the butter has melted. Mix together with a wooden spoon until well combined. Add the sugar and mix in well, then bring to a gentle simmer.
- Stir in the Christmas pudding, and orange zest then gently simmer for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat, add the cream and mix well, then add the alcohol and chocolate and mix until melted. Either serve warm, straightaway, or pour into sterilised jars, seal and keep in the fridge for up to 1 month.
Paul’s tips: Add extra dried fruits, nuts and glace cherries for more decadence. Store-bought pudding works very well, but if you don’t like Christmas pudding, try stollen instead.
Rate & review