Coconut macaroon nests
- April 2019
- Makes 12
- Hands-on time 15 min, oven time 10-12 min
Martha Collison’s Easter nests, which use a coconut macaroon mixture filled with Mini Eggs, are so moreish you won’t be able to stop at just one…
- 14.5g (11.4g saturated)
- 17g (16.8g sugars)
- 200g desiccated coconut (see tips)
- 150g condensed milk
- Finely grated zest and juice ½ lemon
- 1 large free-range egg white
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 100g white chocolate, melted
- Chocolate mini eggs to decorate
You’ll also need…
- Large baking sheet lined with non-stick baking paper
- Heat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4. Combine the desiccated coconut, condensed milk, lemon zest and juice in a bowl to form a thick paste (see tips). Set aside.
- Put the egg white and a pinch of salt into a small mixing bowl and whisk to stiff peaks. Add the caster sugar, 1 tbsp at a time, whisking to form a glossy meringue.
- Using a spatula in a figure of eight motion, fold the meringue into the coconut mixture until evenly mixed.
- Divide the mixture into 12 even-size mounds on the prepared baking sheet, spaced a few centimetres apart. Use a teaspoon to indent
the centre of each mound, then use your fingers to form a nest shape. Bake for 10-12 minutes until the edges are just starting to brown.
- Leave to cool briefly on the baking sheet, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Drizzle a little melted white chocolate into and over each nest, then add a few chocolate mini eggs.
Use the best desiccated coconut you can afford for this recipe – we used Daylesford Organic (available from ocado.com).
If the coconut mixture feels a little dry (step 1), stir in another spoonful of condensed milk.
The nests will keep for up to 3 days in an airtight container.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Coconut macaroon brownies
Izy Hossack’s coconut macaroon brownies are a breeze to make and the perfect combination of...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...