Coconut macaroon brownies
- online only
- 110g unsalted butter
- 100g dark (bittersweet) chocolate (minimum 60% cocoa solids)
- 220g granulated sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs, plus 1 egg white
- 60g plain flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- 120g desiccated or shredded coconut
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/Gas 4 and grease a 20 cm square cake tin with butter or sunflower oil.
- Melt the butter and chocolate in a medium saucepan over a low heat, stirring gently. Remove from the heat and stir in 165g of the sugar and 1 teaspoon of the vanilla extract. Beat in the whole eggs, one at a time, then stir in the flour and salt. Pour the batter into the prepared tin and bake for 20 minutes.
- While the brownies bake, mix together the egg white, remaining sugar, coconut and the other teaspoon of vanilla extract.
- When the brownies are ready, gently spread the coconut mixture over the top. Heat the grill to its highest setting and grill the coconut-topped brownies, watching closely, until golden on top. Cut into squares. These brownies can be served warm or at room temperature, on their own or with vanilla or coconut ice cream.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...