Courgette bhajis with salad and buttermilk dressing
- June 2014
- 4 courgettes
- 2 heaped tsp garam masala
- 1 medium free-range egg
- Olive oil
- 50g blanched almonds
- 200g baby leaf spinach
- Handful of fresh mint leaves
- 150ml buttermilk
- Juice of ½ lime
- Lime wedges, to serve
- Coarsely grate the courgettes into a folded new J-cloth, squeeze out any excess liquid, then put the courgettes into a bowl with a pinch of salt, the garam masala and the egg. Stir to combine.
- Gently heat 2cm olive oil in a large frying pan. In a small pan, fry the almonds in another splash of oil until golden, tossing occasionally. Drain on kitchen paper, then roughly chop.
- In a bowl, combine the spinach with a the mint and the almonds. In a jug, whisk the buttermilk, the juice of ½ lime, a splash of olive oil and seasoning.
- When the oil in the large pan is hot and shimmering, drop in tablespoons of the courgette mix and fry for 2-3 minutes on each side. Lift out carefully and drain on kitchen paper. Repeat to make 12-16 bhajis.
- Toss the dressing with the leaves, then divide among plates. Top with the bhajis and serve with lime wedges.
Next time try using a mix of courgettes and grated carrots or grated potatoes, or use coriander leaves instead of the mint.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...