Courgette bhajis with salad and buttermilk dressing
- June 2014
- 4 courgettes
- 2 heaped tsp garam masala
- 1 medium free-range egg
- Olive oil
- 50g blanched almonds
- 200g baby leaf spinach
- Handful of fresh mint leaves
- 150ml buttermilk
- Juice of ½ lime
- Lime wedges, to serve
- Coarsely grate the courgettes into a folded new J-cloth, squeeze out any excess liquid, then put the courgettes into a bowl with a pinch of salt, the garam masala and the egg. Stir to combine.
- Gently heat 2cm olive oil in a large frying pan. In a small pan, fry the almonds in another splash of oil until golden, tossing occasionally. Drain on kitchen paper, then roughly chop.
- In a bowl, combine the spinach with a the mint and the almonds. In a jug, whisk the buttermilk, the juice of ½ lime, a splash of olive oil and seasoning.
- When the oil in the large pan is hot and shimmering, drop in tablespoons of the courgette mix and fry for 2-3 minutes on each side. Lift out carefully and drain on kitchen paper. Repeat to make 12-16 bhajis.
- Toss the dressing with the leaves, then divide among plates. Top with the bhajis and serve with lime wedges.
Next time try using a mix of courgettes and grated carrots or grated potatoes, or use coriander leaves instead of the mint.
Rate & review