Smoky bean and sweet potato tortillas with lime-pickled onions
- November 2013
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 20 minutes, cooking time 35 minutes
Take your veggie Mexican night to new heights with these smoky bean and sweet potato tortillas. They’re wonderfully warming and spicy with a citrus kick from the lime-pickled onions.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 5.3g (0.9g saturated)
- 94.5g (13.9g sugars)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- Pinch of ground cumin
- 600g sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1cm dice
- 1-2 tbsp chipotle paste
- 300ml vegetable stock, hot
- 2 x 400g tins butter beans, drained and rinsed
- 400g tin black beans, drained and rinsed
- Handful of fresh mint leaves, chopped
- Handful of fresh coriander leaves
- Tortilla wraps, charred, to serve
- Soured cream to serve
For the lime-pickled onions
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 large red onion, finely sliced
- Sea salt crystals or flakes
- To make the lime-pickled onions, toss the lime juice and sliced onion in a bowl with a good pinch of sea salt. Leave for 30 minutes, tossing occasionally, to soften and turn pink.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over a low-medium heat, then add the chopped onion, garlic and cumin. Cook for 10 minutes, then add the sweet potatoes. Fry gently for 2-3 minutes more, stirring occasionally to make sure the garlic doesn’t burn.
- Stir in the chipotle paste to coat the vegetables. Season well, then pour over the hot vegetable stock. Bring to the boil. Turn the heat down to a simmer, then cook for 10-15 minutes until the potatoes are tender and the stock is reduced. Taste and season.
- Add all the beans to the pan. Keep on the heat for a further 5 minutes, stirring, then remove and toss in the mint and coriander. Take to the table, still in the pan, then serve with the charred tortilla wraps, lime-pickled onions and soured cream.
To char tortillas, hold them over a gas flame using metal tongs for 30-40 seconds on each side (keep them moving so the edges don’t catch fire). If you have an electric or induction hob, cook in a dry frying pan over a medium-high heat.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Sweet potato recipes
Quick spring green, sweet potato and chilli frittata
Frittata, made with spring greens, creamy goat’s cheese, sweet potato and a kick of chilli...