Smoky bean and sweet potato tortillas with lime-pickled onions
- November 2013
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 20 minutes, cooking time 35 minutes
Take your veggie Mexican night to new heights with these smoky bean and sweet potato tortillas. They’re wonderfully warming and spicy with a citrus kick from the lime-pickled onions.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 5.3g (0.9g saturated)
- 94.5g (13.9g sugars)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- Pinch of ground cumin
- 600g sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1cm dice
- 1-2 tbsp chipotle paste
- 300ml vegetable stock, hot
- 2 x 400g tins butter beans, drained and rinsed
- 400g tin black beans, drained and rinsed
- Handful of fresh mint leaves, chopped
- Handful of fresh coriander leaves
- Tortilla wraps, charred, to serve
- Soured cream to serve
For the lime-pickled onions
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 large red onion, finely sliced
- Sea salt crystals or flakes
- To make the lime-pickled onions, toss the lime juice and sliced onion in a bowl with a good pinch of sea salt. Leave for 30 minutes, tossing occasionally, to soften and turn pink.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over a low-medium heat, then add the chopped onion, garlic and cumin. Cook for 10 minutes, then add the sweet potatoes. Fry gently for 2-3 minutes more, stirring occasionally to make sure the garlic doesn’t burn.
- Stir in the chipotle paste to coat the vegetables. Season well, then pour over the hot vegetable stock. Bring to the boil. Turn the heat down to a simmer, then cook for 10-15 minutes until the potatoes are tender and the stock is reduced. Taste and season.
- Add all the beans to the pan. Keep on the heat for a further 5 minutes, stirring, then remove and toss in the mint and coriander. Take to the table, still in the pan, then serve with the charred tortilla wraps, lime-pickled onions and soured cream.
To char tortillas, hold them over a gas flame using metal tongs for 30-40 seconds on each side (keep them moving so the edges don’t catch fire). If you have an electric or induction hob, cook in a dry frying pan over a medium-high heat.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Healthy salad recipes
Sweet potato, chickpea and feta salad with tahini dressing
Soft roasted sweet potato, tangy feta and crunchy chickpeas combine in this knockout veggie salad....