Creamy spiced potato and spinach curry
- May 2011
- for 6 people
- Takes 20 minutes to make, 20 minutes to cook
The potatoes in this spiced potato and spinach curry recipe take on a wonderful creaminess and provide the perfect host for the Indian inspired flavours.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 12.9g (5.7g saturated)
- 24.4g (4.4g sugar)
- 750g small new potatoes, quartered
- 2 tbsp groundnut oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tsp black mustard seeds
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp garam masala
- ½-1 tsp chilli flakes, according to taste
- 30g butter
- 250g full-fat Greek yogurt
- 3cm piece of fresh ginger, grated
- 200g baby leaf spinach
- Fresh mint leaves, ½ red chilli, sliced, and lemon wedges to serve
- Parboil the potatoes in salted boiling water for 8-10 minutes until just tender. Drain, then prick with a fork to roughen the edges.
- Heat the oil in a large sauté pan over a medium heat. Add the onion and a pinch of salt, then cook for 15 minutes, stirring, until golden. Add the garlic and spices, then cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the butter and potatoes, then stir to coat. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally so the spices don’t catch and burn.
- Spoon the yogurt into a bowl, add the ginger, then season. Stir into the pan with a splash of water and heat gently for 5 minutes until the potatoes are tender and the sauce
- is thickened. Season to taste.
- Put the spinach in a colander and pour freshly boiled water over it, then refresh under cold water and squeeze dry. Stir through the curry.
- Scatter with the mint and chilli, then serve with lemon wedges.
Rate & review