- 125g plain flour
- 1 medium egg, beaten
- 275ml-300ml semi-skimmed milk
- Vegetable or sunflower oil, for frying
- 1 teaspoon icing sugar
- Grated zest of ½ orange
- 40g caster sugar
- 40g butter
- Juice of 2 small oranges
- 2 tablespoons Cointreau
- 2 tablespoons brandy
- Thin strips of orange zest
- Crème fraîche
- Make the master batter recipe (see the perfect pancakes recipe), adding the icing sugar and grated orange zest. Rest and cook as before.
- Fold the pancakes into eighths or quarters, depending on their size, and set aside.
- Make the sauce by dissolving the caster sugar in a frying pan. Increase the heat and cook until golden. Add the butter and the orange juice and cook until the sauce is simmering. Stir in the cointreau.
- Return the folded pancakes to the pan and pour over the brandy. Flambé by carefully igniting the sauce with a long taper.
- Remove from the heat while the flames die down. Divide the pancakes and sauce between plates. Scatter with thin strips of orange zest and serve with crème fraîche.