Crisp lettuce hearts with a hot bacon, maple syrup and garlic dressing
- May 2012
- Serves 4
- Ready in 20 min
Simple but oh so tasty. This romaine lettuce and bacon salad recipe, with a maple syrup and garlic dressing, only takes 20 minutes to make.
- 28.5g (6.5g saturated)
- 1.7g (1.3g sugar)
- 2 medium or 3 small romaine lettuce hearts
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ tsp salt
- 8 smoked, maple-cured streaky bacon rashers, cut into thin strips
- 2 garlic cloves, very finely chopped
- Remove any tough leaves from the lettuce hearts, trim the bases, then cut each one lengthways through the stem into quarters. Place side-by-side, cut-side up, on a large serving dish or individual plates.
- Whisk the maple syrup, mustard and sherry vinegar in a small bowl, then gradually whisk in 3 tbsp of the olive oil, the salt and some black pepper to make a dressing.
- Put the remaining olive oil into a frying pan and heat over a medium-high heat. When hot, add the bacon pieces and stir-fry for about 3 minutes until crisp and lightly golden.
- Lower the heat slightly, stir in the garlic and leave to sizzle fora few seconds until the garlic starts to colour. Add the maple syrup dressing and heat until it’s bubbling. Spoon the hot dressing and bacon bits over the lettuce wedges and serve straightaway.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Pan-fried chicken with peas, bacon and lettuce
This simple chicken recipe is quick and easy, and only...
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter