Michel Roux Jr’s braised little gem lettuces
- December 2014
- Serves 6-8
- Hands-on time 25 min
Michel Roux Jr’s braised little gem lettuces are easy to make as a side dish and ready in less than 30 minutes. It’s a great way to use up a glut of them, as you’ll need six lettuces to serve six to eight people as as side.
If you like a side dish you can prep in advance, you’ll love our freeze-ahead roast potatoes.
- 3.1g (0.5g saturated)
- 5.4g (5g sugars)
For 8 servings
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 6 little gem lettuces, quartered
- 2 shallots, finely chopped (see tip)
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 celery stick, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tbsp light muscovado sugar
- 100ml tawny port
- 250ml fresh chicken or veal stock
- Heat the oil in a wide, heavy-based pan over a very high heat. When it’s smoking hot, add the quartered gem lettuces and cook until coloured on all sides. Add the other vegetables and herbs to the pan, season with salt and pepper and the muscovado sugar, then shake the pan and lower the heat to medium.
- After 6 minutes, pour in the port and simmer for 10 minutes, turning the lettuce quarters twice. Add the stock and continue to cook and turn the lettuces until the liquid has become syrupy. Serve immediately (or see make ahead).
It’s important that the shallots, carrot and celery are finely chopped – so take your time.
Let the cooked dish cool, then keep chilled for a few days. Reheat when needed.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Little gems with hazelnuts and red wine vinegar
Griddling lettuce might seem a little odd, but it makes...
Crisp lettuce hearts with a hot bacon, maple syrup and garlic dressing
Simple but oh so tasty. This romaine lettuce and bacon...
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter