Crumbed fish with thyme potatoes and tomato relish
- February 2010
- Serves 4
- Takes 20 minutes to make, 35 minutes to cook
This crumbed fish with thyme potatoes recipe is a clever twist on fish and chips. An easy midweek meal that’s bound to satisfy the whole family.
Or give this nutty twist a go with our spiced crumbed fish recipe.
- Dairy-free recipes
- (3.8g saturated)
- 47.9g (4.3g sugar)
- 600g baby new potatoes, scrubbed
- 3 garlic cloves
- 4 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for frying
- Handful fresh thyme, leaves picked
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and diced
- ½ tbsp sun-dried tomato purée
- 200g can tomatoes
- 80g fresh breadcrumbs
- 2 large free-range eggs, beaten
- 50g plain flour, seasoned
- 4 chunky, sustainable white fish fillets
- Lemon wedges, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/ gas 6. Boil the potatoes in a pan for 8-10 minutes until tender. Drain, tip into a roasting tin and crush slightly with a fork. Slice 2 of the garlic cloves. Add to the tin along with 3 tbsp olive oil, half the thyme leaves and some seasoning. Toss together and cook for 25 minutes, shaking the tin occasionally, until crisp.
- Meanwhile, chop the remaining garlic clove and put in a pan with the chilli and 1 tbsp olive oil over a medium heat for 2 minutes. Stir in the purée, cook for 1 minute, then add the tomatoes and cook until thickened. Season and put in a bowl.
- Mix the breadcrumbs and remaining thyme in a bowl. Place the egg and flour in separate bowls. Flour the fish fillets, dip in the egg, then in the breadcrumbs. Heat some olive oil in a deep frying pan and shallow-fry the crumbed fish for 2-3 minutes each side until golden and cooked through.
- Serve the crumbed fish with the thyme potatoes and tomato relish, with lemon wedges to squeeze over.
If you have a jar of tomato relish at the back of the cupboard, use that instead of making your own relish.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...