Damson and apple cheese
- September 2006
- Makes 18 squares
- Take 2 hours 15 minutes to make, plus 12 hours setting
Serve this damson and apple cheese like a chutney; it’s wonderful served with goat’s or sheep’s milk cheeses, as is traditional, but also alongside roast lamb or game dishes, too.
Looking for more ways to use the seasonal fruit? Take a look at all of our damson recipes, here.
- 0.2g (trace saturated)
- 55.8g (55.8g sugar)
- 1kg damsons (or small plums)
- 500g cooking apples
- 1 vanilla pod (optional)
- 800g granulated or preserving sugar
- Oil, for greasing
- Caster sugar, to dust
- Damsons are a nightmare to stone so just wash them (or the plums) and pop into a large pan. Quarter the apples (don’t peel or remove the pips) and add to the pan with the vanilla pod, split in half, if using. Half-cover the fruit with 600ml water and bring to a gentle simmer. Cook, partially covered, for 30 minutes.
- Pass the fruit through a sieve, in batches, into a large bowl. Stir the pulp with a wooden spoon to help it through. Discard the pips, skin, peel and stones. Scrape the seeds from the vanilla pod into the sieved fruit, if using, and discard the pod.
- Measure the fruit purée in a jug – you should have about 1.2 litres. Add the sugar (or 100g sugar for every 150ml purée) and heat very gently until the sugar dissolves. Bring to a gentle simmer and cook for about 11/4 hours, stirring regularly. This burns easily, so don’t go away. It’s ready when a wooden spoon leaves a clear wake. Take off the heat.
- Oil a deep baking tray, about 26 x 17cm, and line with baking paper. Pour in the purée, cool, then chill for 12 hours or until set.
- Cut into 18 squares. To store, dust with caster sugar, leave to dry, then layer up between baking paper in an airtight container. Store in a cool place for up to 6 months.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Damson cheese and caraway oatcakes
Debbie Major’s damson cheese recipe is a set, sweetened purée,...
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter