Easy mulled wine
- December 2019
- 2 x 750ml bottles medium-bodied red wine
- 6 cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks, broken in half, plus more to garnish (optional)
- 100ml smooth orange juice
- 1 large orange, sliced into thin half-moons, pips removed
- 2 lemons, sliced into thin half-moons, pips removed
- Caster sugar to taste (about 4 tsp)
- 5 tbsp brandy
- Pour the wine into a large pan and add the spices, orange juice, citrus slices and sugar. Heat over a low-medium heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar, and bring the mulled wine to just under simmering point. Don’t let it boil.
- Taste as you go, adding more sugar and spice if you want. Add the brandy at the end, then stir and ladle into thick glass tumblers, including some cloves and citrus slices in each glass. Serve with a whole cinnamon stick in each glass to stir while sipping, if you like.
Want to know which wine is best for mulled wine? It needs to be a red you’d be happy to drink on its own. Best is a ripe and fruity style, not too heavy or acidic. A decent côtes du rhône, Australian shiraz-cabernet or Chilean merlot are all good picks.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter