Spiced Scandinavian mulled wine
- January 2007
- 100g whole blanched almonds
- 700ml red wine
- 700ml ruby port
- 600ml vodka
- 10 green cardamom pods
- 2 small cinnamon stick
- 10 cloves
- The pared zest of 2 large oranges
- 100-150g golden caster sugar (according to taste)
- Raisins, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Cover the almonds with boiling water and soak for 10 minutes. Drain and slice lengthways into thin shards, then spread out on a baking tray and roast for 6-7 minutes, until golden. Cool.
- Meanwhile, put the red wine, port, vodka, cardamom pods, cinnamon sticks, cloves, the pared zest and golden caster sugar into a large pan and leave over a low heat for 20 minutes – do not let it boil.
- Remove from the heat and cool slightly. Put a metal teaspoon into each glass – this will absorb the heat so that the glass doesn’t crack.
- To serve, pour the mulled wine between glasses and sprinkle with the toasted almonds and raisins.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...