Easy pizza sauce
- May 2013
- Tops 8 pizzas
- Hands-on time 15 minutes, simmering time 45 minutes
- Vegetarian recipes
- 3.2g (0.4g saturated)
- 3.2g (2.6g sugars)
- 50ml extra- virgin olive oil
- 1 finely chopped large onion
- 2 crushed garlic cloves
- Large pinch chilli flakes
- 2 x 400 g tinned tomatoes
- Pinch of sugar
- Splash of red wine vinegar
- Stalks from a bunch of fresh basil (use the leaves as a pizza topping)
- Heat a saucepan and add the extra-virgin olive oil. Gently fry the onion for 10 minutes, until softened and pale golden.
- Add the garlic and chilli flakes, then cook for another 3 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, sugar and a splash of red wine vinegar. Season.
- Add the stalks from a bunch of fresh basil (use the leaves as a pizza topping), bring to a very gentle simmer and cook for 45 minutes, stirring now and then.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning, then blend until smooth. The sauce will keep in the fridge, covered, for 3-4 days or can be frozen for up to 1 month.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...