Easy pizza sauce
- May 2013
- Tops 8 pizzas
- Hands-on time 15 minutes, simmering time 45 minutes
- Vegetarian recipes
- 3.2g (0.4g saturated)
- 3.2g (2.6g sugars)
- 50ml extra- virgin olive oil
- 1 finely chopped large onion
- 2 crushed garlic cloves
- Large pinch chilli flakes
- 2 x 400 g tinned tomatoes
- Pinch of sugar
- Splash of red wine vinegar
- Stalks from a bunch of fresh basil (use the leaves as a pizza topping)
- Heat a saucepan and add the extra-virgin olive oil. Gently fry the onion for 10 minutes, until softened and pale golden.
- Add the garlic and chilli flakes, then cook for another 3 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, sugar and a splash of red wine vinegar. Season.
- Add the stalks from a bunch of fresh basil (use the leaves as a pizza topping), bring to a very gentle simmer and cook for 45 minutes, stirring now and then.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning, then blend until smooth. The sauce will keep in the fridge, covered, for 3-4 days or can be frozen for up to 1 month.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Seared fillet steak with pizzaiola sauce
Try this fillet steak recipe with pizzaiola sauce, an Italian mix of tomatoes, garlic and...