- August 2012
- Makes 1 pizza
- Takes 25 minutes to make, 12 minutes to cook
Is a pizza really a pizza without cheese? If you think so, you’ll love this one – a combination of punchy flavours with salty anchovies, capers, and green and black olives with a kick of fresh chillies.
- 37g (5.4g saturated)
- 96.4g (4.3g sugars)
- Plain flour for dusting
- ½ quantity pizza dough
- 120g (8 tbsp) passata
- ½ garlic clove, crushed
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ lemon
- 1 tsp finely chopped red chilli
- Pinch of dried thyme
- 8 anchovies, drained and rinsed
- 15g capers, drained and rinsed
- 50g mixed black and green olives, pitted and chopped
- Pinch of black pepper
- Small handful of fresh oregano leaves
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/fan200°C/gas 7. To stretch the dough, start with plenty of flour on the work surface and slap the dough ball onto it. Flatten the dough using your fingers and a gentle amount of pressure. Spread the dough with a rolling pin into a round shape until it is approximately 28cm wide. During cooking the dough expands slightly so make a rim around the edge to hold the filling, by lightly and evenly tapping the rim of the dough about 1cm from the edge. Dust off any surplus flour and place the dough on a lightly oiled pizza pan, a mesh pizza screen or a pizza stone.
- Spread the passata evenly over the base, leaving the raised edge uncovered. In a separate bowl, combine the crushed garlic with 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil and mix well. Drizzle evenly over the base.
- Grate the zest of the ½ lemon into a bowl. Squeeze the juice and add it to the zest with the remaining 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil. Stir well and drizzle evenly over the base. Scatter over the chopped red chilli evenly, then sprinkle with the thyme. Put the anchovies on the base and scatter the capers and olives evenly over the pizza. Season with black pepper and cook for 10-12 minutes.
- Once the pizza is cooked (it should be lightly browned and crisp around the edges and underneath), cut into slices, put on a plate and serve, sprinkled with the fresh oregano.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
A delicious French take on pizza, topped with caramelised onions, anchovies and olives.
Caramelised onion chutney and goat’s cheese tortilla pizza
Using tortillas as pizza bases cuts down on time and saves a few calories –...