Egg and bacon pie
- May 2009
- Serves 4
- Hands on 15 min, oven time 20 min
This comforting egg and bacon pie is a homage to brunch – if you can resist, save a piece for your lunch the next day.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion
- 6 rashers good-quality smoked bacon, thickly sliced
- 500g new potatoes, halved
- 150g cherry tomatoes, halved
- Handful garden peas
- Small handful of fresh flatleaf parsley leaves, roughly chopped
- 8 large, free-range eggs
- 100ml double cream
- Heat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large frying pan. Slice the onion and cook for 5 minutes until softened. Add the bacon and fry until starting to crisp.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pan of salted water to the boil and cook the potatoes for 5 minutes, then drain. Tumble the potatoes, onions and bacon into a medium roasting tin, about 30cm x 23cm, lined with baking paper. Scatter over cherry tomatoes, halved, a handful of garden peas and a small handful fresh flatleaf parsley leaves.
- In a bowl, mix the eggs with double cream and season well. Pour into the tin and bake in the oven for 20 minutes until just set and golden. Cool a little, then lift out of the tin using the baking paper and slice to serve.
Rate & review