Fillets of sea bass on provençal lentils
- February 2004
- Serves 4
- Takes about 1 hour hands-on time
Looking for an impressive but easy main course? Then serve guests these fillets of sea bass on provençal lentils with a creamy chive sauce. Such an impressive dish that isn’t too difficult to make.
- 250g Puy lentils
- 1 bouquet garni
- Olive oil
- 1 small shallot, chopped
- 1 small clove of garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tsp chopped fresh rosemary
- 6 large ripe tomatoes, skinned, deseeded and diced
- 2 tsp tomato purée
- 150ml good-quality tomato juice (with a thick consistency)
- 4 x 180g sea bass fillets, scored
- 1 lemon
For the sauce
- 250ml fish stock
- 125ml double cream
- 1 tsp finely chopped chives
- 1 small knob of butter
- Put the lentils and bouquet garni in a pan, cover with cold water, bring to the boil and simmer for about 20 minutes. Drain well.
- In a clean pan, heat a little olive oil and sweat the shallot, garlic and herbs. Add the tomatoes and tomato purée to the shallots and simmer gently for 3-4 minutes. Add the tomato juice and continue to cook, stirring, until the mixture is reduced to a smooth, paste-like consistency. Add the lentils, mix thoroughly and season well. (If there is still excess liquid in the pan, continue to reduce, stirring, until the mixture is almost dry.)
- To make the sauce, put the fish stock in a clean pan and simmer until reduced by half. Add the cream and simmer to reduce by half again. Season well and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, heat a little oil in a non-stick frying pan. Season the fish well with salt, pepper and lemon juice. Pan-fry skinside down for 3-4 minutes until golden and crispy. Turn over and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add the chives to the sauce and whisk in the butter until a foam appears. Divide the lentils between 4 warmed plates. Top with the fish and spoon the sauce around the edges. Garnish with fresh herbs and serve.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Jersey royal new potato recipes
Garlic and sage smashed jersey royals with pan-fried sea bass
Pan-fried sea bass is a perfect match for these golden potatoes, drizzled with a salty...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...