Sea bass with potatoes and swiss chard
- May 2015
- Serves 2
- Hands-on time 25 min
Fresh sea bass is cooked with capers, lemon and dill in this recipe by Turkish cookbook author, Gökçen Adar. Serve with potatoes and chard for a dinner in under 30 minutes.
Or, take a look at our recipe for pan-fried sea bass with crispy potatoes and sprouts!
- 26.6g (4g saturated)
- 21g (4g sugars)
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 sustainably sourced sea bass fillets, skin-on
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 tbsp lemon juice, plus wedges to serve
- 120ml whole milk
- 2 tbsp capers in brine, drained
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh dill
For the potatoes and chard
- 2 large potatoes, chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 5 swiss chard leaves, shredded
- For the potatoes and chard, put the potatoes into a pan of salted cold water, bring to the boil, then simmer for around 10-12 minutes. Drain and crush the potatoes slightly.
- Heat a small frying pan with 2 tbsp of the olive oil over a medium heat. Fry the onion for around 5 minutes or until translucent, stirring occasionally. Add the swiss chard leaves, then add the potatoes and season with salt and pepper. Keep cooking until the chard has wilted, then set aside but keep warm (or see Make Ahead).
- Meanwhile heat a large frying pan with 2-3 tbsp oil on a medium-high heat. When hot, lightly dust the fish fillets in flour on both sides, then add to the pan skin-side down. Cook for 3 minutes, then season and flip over the fillets. Add the lemon juice and cook for another 3 minutes, then add the milk, dill and capers. Cook for 1-2 minutes more, then remove the fish from the pan using a fish slice. Serve with the potatoes and chard, lemon wedges and some of the capers and dill from the pan.
Gökçen says: “We use milk in traditional Aegean cooking to balance the acidic flavour of the olive oil.”
Make the crushed potato up to 24 hours ahead. Chill, covered, then reheat on the hob or in the microwave to serve.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Easy dinner party mains
Whole sea bass with purple sprouting broccoli, chilli and garlic
Whole sea bass makes an impressive dinner party main – this simple recipe uses only...
Jersey royal new potato recipes
Garlic and sage smashed jersey royals with pan-fried sea bass
Pan-fried sea bass is a perfect match for these golden potatoes, drizzled with a salty...