Flatbreads with raisin, pine nut & caper pesto
- May 2018
- Makes 3 flatbreads
- Hands-on time 10 min, oven time 10 min
A slightly different take on pizza, but one that’s just as delicious. Sweet, salty and nutty flavours combine in this incredibly moreish flatbread recipe. Serve as a tear-and-share nibble with olive oil for dipping.
Extend your flatbread repertoire with this potato, green tapenade and herb recipe.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 43.3g (6.2g saturated)
- 56.6g (10.1g sugars)
- 30g raisins or sultanas
- 25g pine nuts, toasted
- 20g capers, drained
- Grated zest and juice ½ lemon, plus extra juice
- 20g fresh flatleaf parsley, chopped, plus extra leaves to garnish
- 125ml olive oil
- 1 pack Crosta & Mollica classic piada flatbreads (from most supermarkets) or other flatbreads or large wholemeal flour tortillas
- 1 large banana shallot, finely sliced
- Few shavings ricotta salata dura or pecorino – or vegetarian alternative
- Pinch saffron
- Pinch sugar
- Handful rocket leaves (optional)
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. Whizz the raisins/sultanas, pine nuts, capers, zest and juice ½ lemon and the parsley in a mini chopper to a rough paste. Drizzle in 100ml oil, then season and whizz again to combine.
- Lay the flatbreads on 2 baking sheets and spread with the pesto, reserving a little to serve. Top with shallot slices and the cheese shavings. Bake for 10 minutes until golden and the base is crisp.
- Meanwhile, soak the saffron in a small bowl with a tiny splash of boiling water for a few minutes. Add a squeeze of lemon juice, a pinch of salt, sugar and black pepper, and the remaining 25ml oil, then whisk with a fork to make a dressing.
- Drizzle the warm flatbreads with the reserved pesto and the saffron dressing. Sprinkle with the extra parsley and rocket leaves, if using.
Ricotta salata is a semi-hard cheese made from ricotta. We’ve used the hard version (dura), available from Italian delis or Ocado (Natoora brand).
Make the pesto (step 1) a few hours ahead and keep covered in the fridge.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Pizza bianca with goat’s cheese, courgettes and black olives
This pizza recipe makes a change from the usual – it’s spread with a creamy...
Three-cheese pizza biancas
Nothing beats a homemade pizza. We’ve swapped the usual tomato sauce for cheese, cheese and...