Fragrant maple pineapple with coconut ice cream
- February 2019
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 15 min
Ching-He Huang’s quick and easy Chinese-inspired dessert recipe, made with pineapple and ginger biscuits, is ready in just 15 minutes.
Ching says: This quick and easy dessert will help bring good fortune (as well as sighs of happiness) to your Chinese New Year celebrations. Pineapple and pink grapefruit (or pomelo) are symbols of wealth and prosperity, and a sign of many offspring. Top it off with gold to bring in extra fortune. I’ve added edible flowers, too, as a nod to the Spring Festival (another name for Chinese New Year).
- 8.5g (5.9g saturated)
- 54.8g (40.1g sugars)
For the maple pineapple
- 1 small pineapple, peeled, cored and sliced into 1cm rounds, then cut into fan-shaped thirds
- Pinch ground cinnamon
- 3 tbsp good-quality Canadian maple syrup
- ½ lemongrass stick, finely grated
- 8 ginger biscuits
- 1 large pink grapefruit or pink pomelo, cut into segments
- 250g-300g coconut ice cream (we like The Coconut Collaborative Coconut & Vanilla Snowconut frozen yogurt, from Ocado)
- Edible gold leaf to garnish (available from large supermarkets)
- Handful edible flowers (optional)
- Put the ginger biscuits in a food processor and whizz to make crumbs (or put in a food bag and bash with a rolling pin).
- Set a wok over a medium heat. When hot, add the pineapple pieces, cinnamon and maple syrup, then cook, tossing, for 2-3 minutes
until caramelised and tender.
Add the lemongrass at the end and keep warm over a very low heat.
- Divide the ginger biscuit crumb equally among four bowls, then arrange the pineapple and grapefruit or pomelo slices on top. Add a scoop of ice cream to each, then garnish with the gold leaf and edible flowers, if using.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Chilli pineapple with mascarpone and ginger biscuits
This pineapple dessert, with chilli and vanilla, is the perfect...
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter