Champagne rhubarb cocktail
- April 2011
- Makes 8 cocktails
- Hands on time 5 mins, 10-15 mins cooking time, plus cooling
This delicious cocktail recipe is made with homemade rhubarb syrup, orange juice, gin and chilled sparkling wine.
- 22.8g (21.7g sugars)
- Trace salt
- 750g forced rhubarb (see tip), trimmed and cut into 5cm lengths
- 150g caster sugar
- Grated zest and juice of 1 orange
- 150-200ml gin
- Chilled sparkling wine
- To make the rhubarb syrup, put the rhubarb in a pan with the sugar, orange zest and juice and a small splash of water. Bring to the boil, then simmer gently, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes until the rhubarb is very soft.
- Strain the syrup through a fine sieve into a jug, pressing the rhubarb to extract all the juice. Allow to cool.
- Pour a little rhubarb syrup into each glass, divide the gin among them and top with chilled sparkling wine.
Forced rhubarb – also known as champagne rhubarb – has a pale colour and a sweet flavour. You’ll have more rhubarb syrup than you need for 6-8 cocktails, but you can keep it in sterilised jars in the fridge for up to a month.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter