Gingerbread Manhattan cocktail
- January 2012
- Cocktail for 1 (syrup for 9 cocktails)
- Takes 5 minutes to make, 30 minutes to cook
This spicy ginger Manhattan cocktail is the perfect pre-dinner aperitif.
- 24.3g (24.3g sugars)
For the cocktail (makes 1)
- 35ml bourbon
- 15ml red vermouth
- 15ml white vermouth
- 15ml gin
- 25ml spice syrup (see below)
- A few splashes of Angostura Orange Bitters or Angostura Bitters
For the spice syrup (makes 225ml, enough for 9 cocktails)
- 200ml water
- 100g dark muscovado sugar
- 100g golden caster sugar
- 1 orange, quartered, plus 1 extra, peeled for garnish
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 5 cloves, lightly crushed
- ¼ whole fresh nutmeg, broken with a hammer or rolling pin
- 20g fresh ginger, sliced
- Gently simmer all the ingredients for the syrup together for 30 minutes. Leave to cool completely, then strain into a jug.
- Shake all the ingredients for the cocktail in a cocktail shaker with ice. Strain into a Martini glass and garnish with orange peel and a cinnamon stick.
Put the finished, cooled syrup in a freezer bag and freeze for up to 6 months.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
This classic winter cocktail is based on the comforting sweet ’n’ spicy flavours of American...