- 75g fresh ginger, finely chopped (no need to peel)
- 75g crystallised ginger, chopped
- 2 x 7cm cinnamon sticks
- 10 cloves
- ½ vanilla pod, split lengthways
- 100g light soft brown or light muscovado sugar
- 1 tsp black treacle
- 1 litre vodka
- Put all the ingredients into a large airtight jar. Give it a stir and leave it to infuse in a cool, dark place for 4 days, giving it a shake twice daily.
- Strain the vodka into a bowl through a sieve lined with a double layer of muslin (discard the flavourings).
- Pour the finished vodka into bottles or decanters, seal, then store in a cool, dark place until needed.
- Make the gingerbread vodka 1-2 months in advance. If you leave the vodka to infuse for longer than 4 days (step 1), the spice flavours will become stronger.