Gooseberry and elderflower fool
- June 2005
- Serves 4
- Takes 25 min to make, plus cooling and chilling
Our gooseberry and elderflower fool is a quick and easy way to enjoy seasonal gooseberries, in a luxury dessert.
- 21.3g (13g saturated)
- 47g (43.9g sugars)
- 500g gooseberries
- 100g caster sugar
- 2 strips pared lemon zest
- 2 heads elderflower (optional)
- 3 tbsp elderflower cordial, or to taste
- 142ml pot double cream
- 150ml fresh ready-made custard
- Sponge finger biscuits, to serve
- Put the gooseberries into a saucepan (there is no need to top and tail them) with 2 tablespoons of the sugar, the lemon zest, and the elderflower heads, if using. Cook over a low heat until the juices start to run from the gooseberries, then cover and cook for 5 minutes or until the berries are soft. Remove and discard the elderflower heads and add the rest of the sugar. Turn the heat up a little and cook for 4-5 minutes to reduce the liquid a little. Remove from the heat when it’s just beginning to catch on the bottom of the pan. Leave to go cold.
- Remove and discard the lemon zest from the pan. Rub the fruit through a sieve into a large mixing bowl and stir in the elderflower cordial, to taste.
- In another bowl, whip the cream until it just starts to form soft peaks. Carefully fold the custard into the gooseberry purée, followed by the cream, so that the mixture is nicely marbled. Spoon into 4 serving glasses and chill for at least 1 hour before serving. Serve with the sponge fingers.
Elderflowers start to appear in early June, so if you have access to some, add 2 large heads to the gooseberries while they are cooking. Then adjust the amount of cordial to taste, adding it once the mixture has cooled down.
is important that the gooseberry purée, custard and whipped cream are all of the same consistency, so that they combine nicely into a soft, green cloud.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Gooseberry, lemon and macadamia nut crumbles
We like these served in individual dishes so that everyone gets their share of the...
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...