Raspberry fool sundaes with elderflower thins
- July 2008
- Serves 10
- Takes 45 min to make, 10-12 min to bake, plus chilling and cooling
This creamy fool, made with raspberries and elderflower, makes an irresistible summertime dessert. The thins (delicate biscuits) are perfect for dipping.
If you’re a fan of fools, the recipe-kind of course, you can find lots more here.
- 33.6g (20.2g saturated)
- 63.6g (42.6g sugar)
- 600g raspberries
- 5 tbsp elderflower cordial
- 110g caster sugar
- 2 medium free-range egg yolks
- 30g cornflour
- 400ml milk
- 400ml double cream
- 500ml elderflower sorbet
For the elderflower thins
- 100g salted butter, softened
- 100g caster sugar
- 1 medium free-range egg
- 1 tbsp elderflower cordial
- 200g plain flour, sifted
- 1 tsp baking powder, sifted
- In a bowl, mix the biscuit ingredients to a soft dough. Shape into a cylinder about 25cm x 4cm in diameter. Wrap in baking paper and chill for 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/fan170°C/ gas 5. Unwrap the dough and cut into about 50 thin slices. Lift onto large baking paper-covered trays and bake for 10-12 minutes, until golden. Cool.
- Put the raspberries, cordial and 80g caster sugar in a pan over a medium heat for a few minutes, until the berries have softened. Reserve a third of the berries; place the rest in a blender and blitz to a purée. Cool.
- Mix the egg yolks, cornflour and remaining sugar in a bowl. Bring the milk to a simmer in a pan, then whisk into the egg mixture. Return to the pan and cook, stirring, for a few minutes until thickened. Cover the surface with cling film and set aside to cool.
- Whisk the cream to soft peaks and fold through the custard. Briefly ripple through the raspberry purée, spoon into 10 x 300ml sundae glasses and top with sorbet and the reserved raspberries. Serve with the biscuits.
Make the raspberry purée, custard and biscuit dough the day before and chill until needed.
You can freeze the elderflower thins, uncooked or baked, for up to 1 month.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...