Griddled lamb steaks with date, spinach and pistachio bulgur wheat
- August 2007
- Serves 4
- Takes 30 minutes to make, plus marinating and resting
There’s a wonderful flavour of North Africa in this griddled lamb recipe. Served with a date, spinach and pistachio bulgur wheat salad, it’s impressive but oh-so easy to make.
- 16g (0.8g saturated)
- 51.3g (11.8g sugars)
- 2 tsp cumin seeds, toasted and lightly crushed
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh mint
- 1 tbsp runny honey
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 x 125g lamb leg steaks, trimmed
For the bulgur wheat salad
- 200g bulgur wheat
- 300ml chicken stock, hot
- 50g pitted dates, chopped
- 50g baby spinach, shredded
- 15g pistachio nuts, chopped
- Grated zest and juice of ½ lemon, plus extra wedges to serve
- In a large non-metallic bowl, combine the cumin, coriander, mint, honey and oil. Season and add the lamb. Turn to coat in the marinade and set aside for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, put the bulgur wheat in a bowl and add the stock. Cover and set aside for 20 minutes or until the grains are tender. Fluff up with a fork and add the remaining salad ingredients. Season.
- Heat a large griddle pan over a medium-high heat until searing hot. Scrape off and discard the excess marinade from the lamb, add to the hot pan and cook for 2-3 minutes each side for medium. Remove from the heat and rest for 5 minutes.
- Divide the salad between 4 plates. Slice the lamb and arrange on top. Serve with extra lemon wedges.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Spiced lamb meatballs with tahini-dressed bulgur wheat
These spiced lamb meatballs for two make a great midweek...
Harissa lamb with bulgur, aubergine and tomato salad
A quick, impressive-looking lamb dish with North African flavours.
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter