Griddled scallops with oriental dressing
- February 2018
- Serves 2 as a starter
- Hands-on time 15-20 min
A speedy dish of scallops with an oriental dressing by The Cookery School at Little Portland Street, London. This recipe delivers the wow factor, but only takes 20 minutes to make.
- Dairy-free recipes
- Gluten-free recipes
- 17.8g (2.8g saturated)
- 6.2g (5.6g sugars)
- 6 fresh sustainable scallops, shelled
- Toasted sesame oil for drizzling
- 2 handfuls salad leaves to serve
- 2 tsp sesame seeds, lightly toasted in a dry frying pan
For the oriental dressing
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1.5cm piece ginger, grated
- ½ tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp rice vinegar
- ½ tbsp teriyaki sauce
- Squeeze orange juice
- 1 tsp apple concentrate
- For the dressing, in a small bowl, whisk together all the ingredients until thickened, then set aside.
- Clean the scallops by slicing off any muscle fibres (discard) and the orange and white roes, if you want. Pat the scallops dry with kitchen paper, then lightly drizzle with the sesame oil.
- Heat a ridged griddle pan (or frying pan) until smoking hot, add the scallops and cook for 2-3 minutes until starting to turn golden brown on one side. Turn (in the same order as you added them to the pan) and cook for another 2-3 minutes. They should be lightly golden on top and still feel quite springy when touched. Don’t overcrowd the pan or the scallops will steam. Transfer to a plate and season with salt and pepper.
- Toss the salad leaves in a small bowl with a little of the oriental dressing, then divide between 2 plates. Arrange the scallops on top, drizzle with more dressing and sprinkle with the sesame seeds.
If you can’t find apple concentrate you can get it online from healthysupplies.co.uk. Otherwise heat 100ml fresh apple juice in a pan over a medium heat and reduce until syrupy. You could remove the flavourful scallop roes for neatness, but we prefer to leave them on.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Seared Asian-style beef and stir-fried savoy cabbage
Mix savoy cabbage with seared steak and Asian ingredients for a quick, easy dinner that’s...