Warm chorizo, caramelised apple and walnut salad
- January 2019
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 15 min
Now this is our type of salad: glistening chorizo, maple caramelised apples, fried radicchio and parmesan shavings. Serve warm with our hot buttered rum and ginger toddy.
- 33g (11.3g saturated)
- 13g (11g sugars)
- 1 radicchio or 2 red chicory
- Sea salt flakes
- 30g butter
- 150g cooking chorizo, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra to drizzle
- 2 small eating apples, peeled, cored and thickly sliced
- 2 tbsp cider vinegar, balsamic vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 40g walnuts, toasted in a dry pan and roughly chopped
- Handful fresh flatleaf parsley, leaves picked
- 25g parmesan, shaved using a vegetable peeler
- Trim the end from the radicchio and cut lengthways into 4 thick wedges. Season with sea salt flakes and black pepper.
- Melt the butter in a large non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Add the chorizo and fry for 2-3 minutes until it’s lightly golden and releases its oil. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside. Add the radicchio to the pan and fry for a minute on each side until just warmed through and starting to brown. Transfer to 4 warmed plates and set aside.
- Wipe out the pan with kitchen paper and return to the heat. Add the extra-virgin olive oil then, as soon as it’s hot, add the apple slices and cook over a medium-high heat for 2 minutes on each side or until golden. Add the vinegar, maple syrup and a pinch of sea salt flakes, then reduce the heat slightly and cook for a further minute until the apples are just tender. Return the chorizo to the pan along with the walnuts. Stir once to combine.
- Spoon the chorizo mixture over the radicchio. Top with the parsley and shaved parmesan, then drizzle with a little extra oil if required.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Easy warm roast cauliflower, sweet potato and quinoa salad
Make the most of winter vegetables in this warming cauliflower, sweet potato and quinoa recipe....